29/05/2020 0 Comments
6 fun activities to do with your dog this spring
After a long, cold winter, humans aren’t the only ones happy to have some warmer weather. Your dog is probably as excited by spring’s arrival as you are. Here are six ways to get outside and enjoy the season with your pup.
- Go to the dog park. Let your dog socialize at a local off-leash dog run. Fido will love running free and making new friends. Just be sure to keep a sharp eye out in case your pup gets nervous or becomes aggressive.
- Play fetch. Whether your dog prefers to chase a ball, a frisbee or a stick, you’ll both get exercise and fresh air.
- Go for a swim. If your dog likes to get its paws wet, head to a dog-friendly beach or one of Ontario’s many lakes. Don’t forget the sunscreen for you and a life jacket for your pooch.
- Go for a hike. Hit one of Toronto’s many hiking trails or head out of the city for some fresh air. Wherever you choose to go, be sure to check the rules for walking with a dog. Many welcome pups but require that they stay on a leash at all times.
- Sign up for a class. If your dog is still a pup, enroll the two of you in an obedience class so your pooch can learn important life skills, like how to obey commands and socialize with other humans and dogs. For dogs that already have the basics covered but still have energy to burn, consider an agility class where they’ll learn how to run through an obstacle course.
- Go camping. Thinking of getting away for a camping weekend? Instead of sending your pup to a doggie daycare, choose a dog-friendly campground and let Fido rough it in the wilderness with you.
No matter what you decide to do with your dog this spring, don’t leave home unprepared. Water is essential for both of you on hot days, and snacks are always welcome. Also, be sure to follow all government recommended COVID-19 guidelines and restrictions in your area, including all social distancing guidelines.
Our animal clinic is here for you
Before you and your dog head out for your favourite spring activities, be sure you know how to contact your local animal hospital. Lawrence-Bellamy Animal Hospital provides emergency veterinary care to animals all over the GTA, including Markham. For emergency care, or for a regular visit, call us today.