Pug in a jacket

My Dog Swallowed a Toy: What Should I Do?

There are several reasons that dogs eat dog toys. For example, they may be anxious.

Whatever the reason, it is not healthy for your dog, and you should do what you can to stop this behaviour once you notice it. However, before you work on it, there has to be a first time. 

We know how lost you might feel, asking yourself: Do I need to get to the best dog hospital in Toronto? Do I need to reach in and grab the dog toys inside its throat? Is he going to poop it out? So we've got you covered; here are the answers to these questions and more. 

 

What are the dangers when swallowing a toy? 

The exact health dangers a dog risks when swallowing a toy varies. Depending on the type of toy, dogs are in danger of the following. 

  • Choking 
  • Poisoning 
  • Intestinal blockage 
  • Puncture wounds 

 

How to Know if Your Dog Swallowed a Toy

The easiest way to tell that your dog swallowed a toy is to see them swallow it. However, things are rarely that simple. Luckily, there are several noticeable symptoms your dog can exhibit after they've eaten a toy. 

  • Tiredness 
  • Appetite loss 
  • Painful abdomen 
  • Gagging or vomiting
  • Diarrhea or constipation 
  • Other atypical behaviours

If you notice those behaviours, find out if any toys are missing.

 

What to Do If Your Dog Swallows a Toy 

Once you know your dog has swallowed a toy, you must act fast. It takes only two hours for any object to reach the dog's intestines. Getting things handled before this point can mean the difference between surgery and more straightforward object removal. 

Then, you can perform either of the following steps. 

 

If You Don't Know What Your Dog Has Swallowed

If you don't know what toy your dog swallowed, you probably need to go straight to the vet. They can take an x-ray, ultrasound, or endoscope and find out exactly what the object is. Then they will be able to take the next steps safely. 

 

If You Know What Toy Your Dog Has Swallowed

If you do know what your dog has swallowed, you may be able to induce vomiting. Don't do this if your dog has swallowed a sharp object. Inducing vomiting can result in you tearing the esophagus. 

However, if the toy is softer, inducing vomiting can be a safe option. Consider coating your dog's stomach with wet food before you do this. This can help move the dog toy back up through the esophagus. 

 

When You Visit Us, You Visit a Dog Hospital Toronto Pet Owners Trust 

In sum, there's no need to panic. All is not hopeless after your dog swallows a toy. Follow all the steps, and you may save your fur baby's life. 

If you are in Scarborough and your dog needs help, call Bellamy-Lawrence Animal Hospital. When you trust us, you trust a dog hospital in Toronto with over 4 years of experience dealing with emergency situations. 

0
Feed