19/06/2020 0 Comments
OUR BEST TIPS FOR KEEPING YOUR PETS SAFE THIS SUMMER
Your pets probably love the summer months as much as you do. However, both the hot weather and several common summertime activities can be hazardous for cats and dogs. Here are seven tips for keeping your pets safe this summer.
- Stay up-to-date with parasite prevention. Fleas, ticks, mosquitos, and other parasites are hard to avoid in the summer. Talk to your veterinarian about appropriate preventive medications and techniques.
- Provide plenty of shade and water. Dogs and cats can easily become dehydrated in the summer, so make sure there’s always a supply of fresh, cool water for them. And while many dogs and cats love to bask in the sun, it’s best to keep them in the shade during the day so they don’t overheat.
- Never leave them in the car. The interior of a car heats up incredibly fast, no matter how cool it is outside. Just ten minutes in a vehicle that’s been turned off can lead to heatstroke in dogs and cats.
- Don’t shave their fur. Your pet’s coat is designed to keep them warm in the winter and cool in the summer. Furthermore, shaving off their fur leaves dogs and cats exposed to potential sunburns. Feel free to trim your cat or dog’s fur, but be sure to leave it at least an inch long.
- Get a life jacket. Don’t assume your pet can swim. If you spend a lot of time near the water or on boats, make sure it wears a life jacket.
- Walk when the ground is cool. Concrete streets and sidewalks get very hot in the sun and can burn your dog’s paws while walking. Instead of strolling around in the middle of the day, bring Fido out in the early morning or the late evening when the ground is cool or warm to the touch.
- Keep them away from fireworks. You may love fireworks displays, but it’s best to keep your pet far away from them. Many animals are afraid of the noise and bright lights, and the explosives can cause injury to pets as well as people.
Affordable vet care in Toronto
This summer, make sure your pet stays safe and healthy. Talk to the experts at our animal clinic for more ideas on how to protect your pet. Bellamy-Lawrence Animal Hospital provides affordable and comprehensive vet care to pets all across the Greater Toronto Area. Call us today to make an appointment or to schedule a house call.