10/01/2022 0 Comments
5 THINGS YOU SHOULD NEVER FEED YOUR CAT
As a cat owner, you’re probably used to your furry friend’s demands to partake in “human food.” Unfortunately, many of the foods that tempt cats aren’t safe for them to consume. It’s important to know which ones are cat-friendly and which are toxic.
- Chocolate and caffeinated beverages
It’s not just dogs who should steer clear of chocolate. While it might be your favourite comfort food, chocolate isn’t something Mittens can safely consume. You should also keep your cat far away from coffee, tea, energy drinks and other beverages containing caffeine. The methylxanthines found in chocolate, such as caffeine, can cause severe issues for your cats, including vomiting, tremors and diarrhea.
This holiday season, don’t leave your eggnog unattended. Curious cats might test out your favourite cocktails if given a chance. This can lead to vomiting and possibly more severe consequences like a coma or even death.
- Raw meat and eggs
Cats go crazy for raw meat, which can make it tempting to toss them a treat while you’re cooking. However, this is a food that cats, just like people, should avoid snacking on. Raw meat and eggs may contain harmful bacteria that can make both you and your cat sick.
Always be sure to wash your hands when handling these products and keep your cat away, no matter how much they protest.
- Grapes and raisins
Why grapes make cats sick isn’t clear, but it’s evident that those who ingest them can get kidney failure. Even eating a little bit can lead to vomiting and hyperactivity. So, if you’ll be adding grapes to your holiday charcuterie boards, be sure to keep them well out of your feline friend’s reach.
- Onions and garlic
Small quantities of onion or garlic probably won’t hurt your cat. Still, if they eat it in large amounts or a particularly concentrated form, such as onion soup mix, they can develop anemia, a condition that affects red blood cells.
Emergency Vet Clinic in Scarborough
No matter how careful you are, there’s always a chance that your cat might ingest something they shouldn’t. If you notice signs of intoxication like diarrhea, excessive vomiting, discoloured gums or neurological changes like lethargy and depression, be sure to get your cat to an emergency clinic as soon as possible. At Bellamy Lawrence Animal Hospital, we try to squeeze in emergency cases without appointments seven days a week. If you have questions or want to schedule a routine checkup, contact us today.