top of page


If you follow our blog regularly, you may recall that one of our first posts was 5 Types of foods you should never give your dogs. While we went over the downfalls of canines ingesting chocolate, alcohol, tobacco, raw meat, grapes and stone fruit, there are a number of other foods that are toxic to your pooch. Always call your vet or visit an animal hospital for an emergency visit if you suspect your dog has ingested a toxic substance.

Macadamia nuts This type of nut is extremely poisonous and can even be lethal to dogs who ingest them. They contain a toxin that may cause inability to walk, swollen limbs, lethargy, vomiting and tremors. Permanent damage to your dog’s digestive, muscular and nervous systems are possible if a large enough amount is consumed. Contact your vet immediately if your dog swallows macadamia nuts. Onions and garlic Onions, chives, leeks, garlic and other members of the allium family are highly toxic to dogs, and even more so to cats. Ingesting them in any form (raw, cooked, dried, powdered, etc.) can lead to gastrointestinal irritation and cause red blood cell damage and consequently anaemia. Signs your canine has swallowed food with onions or garlic include pale gums, increased heart rate, general weakness and falling down. Caffeine Caffeine may put just the right amount of extra bounce in your step but if ingested by your pup, it can lead to an assortment of health complications. Ingesting coffee, tea or other products with caffeine can cause increased thirst, diarrhea, vomiting and an elevated heart rate in dogs. Monitor your canine companion closely if she ingests coffee, coffee beans, coffee grounds, tea, cola, an energy drink or any other product that contains caffeine. Corn on the cob While the kernels themselves are harmless, if the cob portion is consumed, it can do damage to your pup’s intestinal tract. A swallowed corncob can get blocked in your dog’s small intestine and, if not surgically removed, may prove to be fatal to your pooch. Xylitol Xylitol is a sweetener found in a number of products including toothpaste, candy, baked goods, and many diet foods. It is extremely toxic to dogs. If your dog ingests it, he may vomit, experience coordination problems, vomit or even have seizures. Consumption of xylitol can lead to decreased blood pressure, liver failure and possibly death. Take your dog to an animal hospital immediately if he swallows a product containing xylitol. If your dog ingests a toxin Has your dog consumed a harmful substance? Then don’t delay in calling or visiting us at Bellamy-Lawrence Animal Hospital. Our walk-in clinic is open seven days a week to serve you and your pet when you need us most.

bottom of page